Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd. announced the Samsung ARTIK platform to allow faster, simpler development of new enterprise, industrial and consumer applications for the Internet of Things (IoT). ARTIK is an open platform that includes a best-in-class family of integrated production-ready modules, advanced software, development boards, drivers, tools, security features and cloud connectivity designed to help accelerate development of a new generation of better, smarter IoT devices, solutions and services.
Young Sohn, president and chief strategy officer of Samsung Electronics said: “We are providing the industry’s most advanced, open and secure platform for developing IoT products.
All members of the Samsung ARTIK family incorporate unique embedded hardware security technology, on-board memory and advanced processing power in an open platform. Security is also a key element of the advanced software integrated into the platform, along with the ability to connect to the Internet for cloud-based data analytics and enhanced services.
It has been connected a huge range of devices to the internet. Included in the preliminary release is a family of three processors, called ARTIK 1, 5, and 10 respectively. These range from a 12 mm x 12 mm module with Bluetooth LE that is specifically designed for small, low-power devices, to an 8-core micro-PC with 1080p video support and 2 GB of RAM onboard, designed for media and industrial applications.
Additional Technical Highlights of the Samsung ARTIK Family:
- Security and Privacy: The ARTIK platform offers a best-in-class, end-to-end security solution. At the hardware level, ARTIK contains am embedded secure element that goes beyond software-based encryption solutions alone.
- IoT Software Stack: The platform comes with an extensive IoT software stack and tools needed to accelerate product development. Developers can go directly to application framework development, instead of spending time building low-level software libraries.
- Local Storage and Computational Capability: ARTIK supports unique local storage and computational capabilities that in most current IoT environments are generally only addressable by large-scale cloud servers.
- Low-Power Architecture: The ARTIK platform offers best-in-class power consumption to enable longer battery life for battery operated IoT devices like wearables. The platform includes a tiered architecture that allows applications and tasks to run at the right power-optimized performance and memory utilization.
- Small Form Factor: Certain ARTIK modules use Samsung’s next generation ePoP (embedded Package-on-Package) technology. Depending on the configuration, the ARTIK family offers all major connectivity protocols including Wi-Fi, Bluetooth (including BLE) and ZigBee.